Monday 29 February 2016

Oscar Results + Reactions


Wowowow! A chaotic year ends with an equally chaotic Oscars. Lots of upsets and surprises! I really did not do all that well on predictions this year! I was on such a streak until the Sound categories, and then things started to just fall apart. I mean, it's frustrating, but at the same time, most of the upsets I was very happy with the results. How cool is it we live in a world where Mad Max: Fury Road has 6 Oscars? An indie film winning Visual Effects? And Leo finally has an Oscar!

However, I will say I was mainly unimpressed by Chris Rock. After this whole #oscarssowhite and people saying that this isn't just a black issue, but it's an issue for all minorites, Chris Rock turned this into just a "black issue". No mention of how there were no Asian nominations, or Hispanic nominations. It was simply just "no black people were nominated!" I don't know about you, but this was incredibly frustrating to me. Diversity is so much more than just 1 minority getting representation. When was the last time we had an Asian woman up in an acting category? However, other than that, Chris Rock did have some good points about diversity, even if not all of his jokes completely landed. Also, Louie CK stole the show with his comments about Best Documentary Short.

Anyway, my predictions did not do all that well, with 15/21 (aka 71%). I mean, it's not bad considering all the upsets, but I had hoped to do much better than that this year. Last year I did 17/21, and the year before was 18/21, so I guess I didn't do much worse, but this was the first year I didn't get Best Picture correct. How well did everyone else do?

I'll give a category by category recap below!


Best Picture
Prediction: The Revenant
Winner: Spotlight

I predicted the Revenant on this one, but was never 100% convinced, and always had a funny feeling Spotlight could end up taking this. I just was never gutsy enough to predict it, especially since I only predicted it to win 1 other Oscar (which hasn't happened since the 1950's). But Spotlight took this one home, and I'm very, very happy! Spotlight is such a top notch film with such an important story. I'm so glad to see this prevail!

Best Director
Prediction: Alejandro G. Inarritu
Winner: Alejandro G. Inarritu

I mean, I really, really, really wanted George Miller to win here. And I had a flicker of hope after Mad Max ended up winning the 2 sound categories, with a total of 6 wins. But Inarritu becomes the first person to win Back to Back Directing Oscars since 1950. I mean, Inarritu is a worthy winner, but when he was up against George Miller, it should've been no contest for Miller.

Best Actor
Prediction: Leonardo DiCaprio
Winner: Leonardo DiCaprio

I've been loving that I can point that while watching last years Oscars with my family, I told them Leo would be winning next year. And the fact that I never predicted anybody else to win this category all year. Leo is finally a winner!

Best Actress
Prediction: Brie Larson
Winner: Brie Larson

I really wish Saoirse Ronan had won (how great did she look at the Oscars!?) but I'm still really happy with Brie winning.

Best Supporting Actor
Prediction: Sylvester Stallone
Winner: Mark Rylance

I knew this was the category that would be most likely to have an upset, and an upset we had! I was never 100% sure Stallone would win (the lack of SAG and BAFTA was curious to me), but I feel so blah about Rylance winning here. Had he had more screentime in Bridge of Spies, maybe I would've liked this win more. But he wasn't given all that much to do, and I probably wouldn't have noticed his performance had he not been given so many nominations. Was pulling for a Ruffalo/Hardy upset.

Best Supporting Actress
Prediction: Alicia Vikander
Winner: Alicia Vikander

Still a little sad that Rooney Mara didn't win, but Alicia really has had quite the breakout year. Still, she should've won for Ex Machina instead, and I think we all know that.

Best Original Screenplay
Prediction: Spotlight
Winner: Spotlight

Happy for Spotlight here! Again, a very well-written screenplay, and I'm happy to see if wasn't just a consolidation prize!

Best Adapted Screenplay
Prediction: The Big Short
Winner: The Big Short

While I never truly bought The Big Short as a potential Best Picture winner, I'm glad it didn't walk away empty-handed. And Adapted Screenplay is exactly the category it should win.

Best Cinematography
Prediction: The Revenant
Winner: The Revenant

Man, Chivo is such a legend. While it would've been cool to see Rogers Deakin finally win for Sicario, I can't deny how beautifully shot The Revenant was. Has anyone else ever three-peated at the Oscars? And his 3 wins are so different from each other. Can't deny this win!


Best Costume Design
Prediction: Mad Max: Fury Road
Winner: Mad Max: Fury Road

So, so excited Mad Max won. And Jenny Beaven and her wonderful Mad Max leather jacket! Can I have one? Very excited about all the Mad Max love!

Best Film Editing
Prediction: Mad Max: Fury Road
Winner: Mad Max: Fury Road

I'm so, so glad this went to Mad Max. For the third year in a row, this absolutely went to the right movie, despite whether it was a BP frontrunner or not. This and Whiplash winning last year are two of my favourite wins. Also, so many females won Oscars for Mad Max, including this category. So awesome!

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Prediction: Mad Max: Fury Road
Winner: Mad Max: Fury Road

Again, just looking at those war boys, I think we all knew Mad Max had this in the bag.

Best Production Design
Prediction: Mad Max: Fury Road
Winner: Mad Max: Fury Road

Again, Mad Max 1000% deserved to win this. The production design on this movie is one of the best parts of the film, and I'm so glad to see this recognized!

Best Original Score
Prediction: The Hateful Eight
Winner: The Hateful Eight

Best Song
Prediction: "Til It Happens To You" (The Hunting Ground)
Winner: "Writing's On the Wall" (Spectre)

Honestly, 100% the most disappointing win of the night, by far. Not that I overly cared for Lady Gaga's song, but Sam Smith's song is just so meh.

Best Sound Editing
Prediction: The Revenant
Winner:  Mad Max: Fury Road

I changed my prediction for MM to The Revenant only 24 hours before the Oscars. Definitely regretting this, but very happy to have been wrong! Also, I love how their presentation of each nominee really showed what sound editing was (or at least helped me to understand it better). Very cool!

Best Sound Mixing 
Prediction:The Revenant
Winner: Mad Max: Fury Road

MM definitely deserves to win here, so I'm very pleased. It was also about this time of the night when I started to doubt The Revenant would actually win Best Picture.

Best Visual Effects
Prediction: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Winner: Ex Machina

Did literally ANYONE predict this? I was so incredibly stunned when this happened, my jaw literally dropped. But how cool is it this little indie film would VFX? I am so happy with this win, it is so deserved. I mean, I would've loved to have seen Mad Max collect a 7th Oscar, but I definitely love that the Oscars actually went their own way and made such a cool decision!

Best Animated Feature
Prediction: Inside Out
Winner: Inside Out

We all knew this one was coming. Next comeback for Pixar!

Best Documentary Feature
Prediction: Amy
Winner: Amy

Haven't seen it yet, but it hit Netflix a few weeks ago, so I'll definitely be checking it out soon!

Best Foreign Language Film
Prediction: Son of Saul
Winner:  Son of Saul

No comments:

Post a Comment