Thursday 14 January 2016

Oscar Nominations (And Reactions!)

Oscar nominations are out! I was practically having a panic attack before they were announced because I get really nervous over stuff like this. I take snubs very personally sometime. But, I actually scored a personal best in my predictions this year, which is crazy considering how wide open this field is. I'm frustrated by the whole #oscarssowhite thing, but I'm actually more upset that Idris Elba was the sole real contender for a nomination, and he was undeservingly snubbed. In fact, that movie as a whole got nothing and it sucks. 


Leading the nominations was The Revenant, with a whopping 12 nominations! Just behind it was Mad Max:Fury Road, with 10. While there were definitely some exclusions that suck, I'm overall pleased with how well I did with my predictions. We'll see how pleased/displeased I'll be once I consider who is actually nominated. 

Best Picture
“The Big Short”
“Bridge of Spies”
“Brooklyn”
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Martian”
“The Revenant”
“Room”
“Spotlight”

Final Predictions Score: 7/8
So, in my list of 10, I did actually include all 8! but My official picks were 8, but I had Carol in over Bridge of Spies. Honestly, I'm just really, really, really happy Mad Max made it in here. How incredible is that? So far, I've seen 7 of these 8 nominees, all I need to get on is Bridge of Spies, thankfully hitting DVD in a couple of weeks. Also really pleased to see several female led films here, Brooklyn especially. Definitely an interesting year for BP nominees! 


Lead Actor
Bryan Cranston in “Trumbo”
Matt Damon in “The Martian”
Leonardo DiCaprio in “The Revenant”
Michael Fassbender in “Steve Jobs”
Eddie Redmayne in “The Danish Girl”

Final Predictions Score: 5/5
I was having nightmares that Leo would somehow be snubbed. Glad it didn't happen! Leo should have smooth sailing between now and the Oscars!

Supporting Actor
Christian Bale in “The Big Short”
Tom Hardy in “The Revenant”
Mark Ruffalo in “Spotlight”
Mark Rylance in “Bridge of Spies”
Sylvester Stallone in “Creed”

Final Predictions Score: 4/5
I am so, so, so happy that I stuck it out and predicted Tom Hardy getting in here! I really thought about swapping him out (for Ruffalo), but just couldn't do it. And I'm so glad I didn't! Definitely such a deserving nod! Although, I still don't understand the Bale love here. The real star of The Big Short was Ryan Gosling! 

Lead Actress
Cate Blanchett in “Carol”
Brie Larson in “Room”
Jennifer Lawrence in “Joy”
Charlotte Rampling in “45 Years”
Saoirse Ronan in “Brooklyn”

Final Predictions Score: 4/5
I really thought Alicia Vikander would get in here, but alas, category fraud sucks. So happy for Brie Larson and Saoirse Ronan!

Supporting Actress
Jennifer Jason Leigh in “The Hateful Eight”
Rooney Mara in “Carol”
Rachel McAdams in “Spotlight”
Alicia Vikander in “The Danish Girl”
Kate Winslet in “Steve Jobs”

Final Predictions Score: 4/5
I'm not totally surprised Alicia Vikander is in here. But I"m really happy for my girl Rachel McAdams! Finally!

Director
“The Big Short” Adam McKay
“Mad Max: Fury Road” George Miller
“The Revenant” Alejandro G. Iñárritu
“Room” Lenny Abrahamson
“Spotlight” Tom McCarthy

Final Predictions Score: 4/5
I knew SOMEONE would be snubbed. And I wondered if it would be Ridley. I never really bought into the narrative of him being frontrunner for the win. Can we give the prize to George Miller already? 

Adapted Screenplay
“The Big Short”
“Brooklyn”
“Carol”
“The Martian”
“Room”

Final Predictions Score: 4/5
I"m happy to see Brooklyn in here, but shocked by the Sorkin snub! What a bummer, it deserved to be in here. 

Original Screenplay
“Bridge of Spies”
“Ex Machina”
“Inside Out”
“Spotlight”
“Straight Outta Compton”

Final Predictions Score: 4/5
Again, shocked by the Tarantino snub. But SO happy to see Ex Machina get in here! 

Animated Film
“Anomalisa”
“Boy and the World”
“Inside Out”
“Shaun the Sheep Movie”
“When Marnie Was There”

Final Predictions Score: 3/5
The foreign/indie ones always screw with my predictions. Just glad Inside Out is the frontrunner!

Cinematography
“Carol”
“The Hateful Eight”
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Revenant”
“Sicario”

Final Predictions Score: 5/5
Perfect score!

Costume Design
“Carol”
“Cinderella”
“The Danish Girl”
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Revenant”

Final Predictions Score: 4/5
All I missed was the Revenant, putting Brooklyn in over it. So glad to see Cinderella here

Documentary
“Amy”
“Cartel Land”
“The Look of Silence”
“What Happened, Miss Simone?”
“Winter on Fire: Ukraine’s Fight for Freedom”

Final Predictions Score: 3/5
I really haven't seen any of these, so I don't have any comments. 


Film Editing
“The Big Short”
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Revenant”
“Spotlight”
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens”

Final Predictions Score: 4/5
I had the Martian in here over Star Wars. But how cool is it that 2 of these movies have female editors? Love that! 

Foreign Film
“Embrace of the Serpent”
“Mustang”
“Son of Saul”
“Theeb”
“A War”

Final Predictions Score: 3/5
Again, haven't seen any of these.. 

Makeup & Hairstyling
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared”
“The Revenant”

Final Predictions Score: 2/3
I wasn't sold on Black Mass getting in here. But wasn't really expecting The 100 Years Old Man... 

Original Score
“Bridge of Spies” Thomas Newman
“Carol” Carter Burwell
“The Hateful Eight” Ennio Morricone
“Sicario” Jóhann Jóhannsson
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” John Williams

Final Predictions Score: 4/5
How Mad Max keeps getting overlooked in this category, I'll never know... 

Original Song
“Earned It” from “Fifty Shades of Grey”
“Manta Ray” from “Racing Extinction”
“Simple Song #3” from “Youth”
“Til It Happens To You” from “The Hunting Ground”
“Writing’s On The Wall” from “Spectre”

Final Predictions Score: 3/5
Fifty Shades of Grey is an Oscar-nominated film... Oh boy. But The Weeknd is up! More fellow Canadians!

Production Design
“Bridge of Spies”
“The Danish Girl”
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Martian”
“The Revenant”

Final Predictions Score: 3/5
I opted for Carol and Cinderella over The Martian and The Revenant. Happy for the Revenant, could care less about the Martian being here. 


Sound Editing
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Martian”
“The Revenant”
“Sicario”
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens”

Final Predictions Score: 4/5
Sicario got in over my prediction of Spectre. Not that I know anything about this category anyway

Sound Mixing
“Bridge of Spies”
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Martian”
“The Revenant”
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens”

Final Predictions Score: 4/5
I predicted Straight Outta Compton over Bridge of Spies. Oh well. 

Visual Effects
“Ex Machina”
“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“The Martian”
“The Revenant”
“Star Wars: The Force Awakens”

Final Predictions Score: 5/5

I got 5 for 5 here! I was a little nervous not predicting any Marvel movies, but I'm happy with this lineup. Especially the inclusion of Ex Machina and The Revenant. Awesome!


Total Predictions Score: 83/106

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather! Thanks for your comment on my site. I like your list of predictions. I am so thrilled for Leo. I really hope it's his year to get nominated. I was convinced he would be snubbed again. I'm glad to see it didn't happen. I'm not sure who I want to see win in the best actress category. I'll have to think on that one!

    ReplyDelete