Monday 11 January 2016

Golden Globe Reactions

Wow, so this Awards Race keeps getting crazier and crazier. And this is something everyone seems to be recognizing. The amount of surprise winners who went on stage expressing that they "seriously" did not expect to win. It was definitely a crazy evening with a lot of surprises! What does this all say about the upcoming Oscar nominations on Thursday? We'll have to wait and see! While this helps clear up some of the muddle, it definitely created just as much. 

Best Motion Picture – Drama
Carol
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant - WINNER
Room
Spotlight

Once Iñárritu took hom best Director, I knew exactly what was going to happen. Even when Spotlight lost Best Screenplay, I figured it probably wouldn't be winning here. But I am surprised that The Revenant snagged this! I mean, Iñárritu lost last year with Birdman, so this may've been a make up award. But it was still surprising nonetheless. Is Spotlight buzz dead? Is it still really the frontrunner? I really don't know who would be if it isn't Spotlight. 

Best Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical
The Big Short
Joy
The Martian – WINNER
Spy
Trainwreck

I went out on a small limb and predicted The Big Short and ended up eating my words. I'm not altogether surprised that this won, but it meant that The Big Short, our dark horse frontrunner who has been gaining traction in the past few weeks, also walked away from the Globes empty-handed. What's happening? 

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama
Cate Blanchett – Carol
Brie Larson – Room – WINNER
Rooney Mara – Carol
Saoirse Ronan – Brooklyn
Alicia Vikander – The Danish Girl

Not surprised at all. I finally got this one right! I had wondered if maybe Rooney Mara or Saoirse Ronan would win, but figured it would be Brie Larson in the end. Well deserved! 

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama
Bryan Cranston – Trumbo
Leonardo DiCaprio – The Revenant – WINNER
Michael Fassbender – Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne – The Danish Girl
Will Smith – Concussion

After Steve Jobs took home Supporting Actress and Screenplay, I started to get very stressed out over the idea of Michael Fassbender winning this. I mean, I wouldn't normally be against him winning for this performance, but I just love the Leo narrative and want it to go all the way. And The Revenant capped off it's fantastic box office and awards weekend with Leo winning. 

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical
Jennifer Lawrence – Joy – WINNER
Amy Schumer – Trainwreck
Melissa McCarthy – Spy
Maggie Smith – The Lady in the Van
Lily Tomlin – Grandma

I had Jennifer winning here until the last few days when I had read this would be her 3rd Globe in 4 years. Darn looking at Stats!

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical
Christian Bale – The Big Short
Steve Carell – The Big Short
Matt Damon – The Martian – WINNER
Al Pacino – Danny Collins
Mark Ruffalo – Infinitely Polar Bear

While I wondered if Steve Carell was going to pull an upset, Matt Damon's win seemed to be the most obvious of the night. 

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Jane Fonda – Youth
Jennifer Jason Leigh – The Hateful Eight
Helen Mirren – Trumbo
Alicia Vikander – Ex Machina
Kate Winslet – Steve Jobs – WINNER

I had Winslet as my predicted winner until the last moment when I saw no one else was predicting her, so I went for Leigh, which was a mistake. So upset I changed my prediction!

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture – Drama
Paul Dano – Love & Mercy
Idris Elba – Beasts of No Nation
Mark Rylance – Bridge of Spies
Michael Shannon – 99 Homes
Sylvester Stallone – Creed – WINNER

Actually, I feel like this was the most obvious win of the night. Is Stallone after the Oscar next? The room was just so happy for him and he had a great standing ovation. We'll see!

Best Director – Motion Picture
Todd Haynes – Carol
Alejandro G. Iñárritu – The Revenant – WINNER
George Miller – Mad Max: Fury Road
Ridley Scott – The Martian
Tom McCarthy – Spotlight

I went out on a limb and predicted George Miller, who is still the deserving winner. But Iñárritu is not at all undeserving. He had such great direction for The Revenant, so I can't be too mad (only a little). 

Best Screenplay – Motion Picture
Room
Spotlight
The Big Short
Steve Jobs – WINNER
The Hateful Eight

Is it really ever surprising when Sorkin wins a screenplay award? I mean, I know I didn't predict it, but I wasn't very surprised. 

Best Animated Feature Film
Anomalisa
The Good Dinosaur
Inside Out – WINNER
The Peanuts Movie
Shaun the Sheep

Also a very safe prediction I made, that I did actually get right. Deserved!

Best Foreign Language Film
The Brand New Testament
The Club
The Fencer
Mustang
Son of Saul – WINNER

This is actually the prediction I felt most confident about. Still need to see!

Best Original Score – Motion Picture
Carter Burwell – Carol
Alexandre Desplat – The Danish Girl
Ennio Morricone – The Hateful Eight – WINNER
Daniel Pemberton – Steve Jobs
Ryuichi Sakamoto, Alva Noto – The Revenant

I was hoping The Revenant would win, because this score is so heartbreaking, but the Hateful Eight won here. Everyone on here was so deserving. Too bad I didn't actually predict it!

Best Original Song – Motion Picture
“Love Me Like You Do” –Fifty Shades of Grey
“One Kind of Love” – Love & Mercy
“See You Again” –Furious 7
“Simple Song #3” –Youth
“Writing’s on the Wall” –Spectre – WINNER

Again, I was really, really hoping the song from Love & Mercy would win, but I am unsurprised to see Sam Smith win. I really thought Ellie Goulding was going to take it, but whatever. Writing's on the Wall was blah, so it's a disappointing win. 

Overall, I did a really, really horrible job in my predictions and only managed to predict 6/14, which is so bad. Hopefully my Oscar nominee predictions on Thrursday go much better than this. But an unpredictable season is more fun, right? 


No comments:

Post a Comment