Wednesday 9 September 2015

TIFF: Our Brand is Crisis


Last year was my first year at TIFF and we were able to see Theory Of Everything, which turned out to play extremely well with the Oscars, winning Eddie Redmayne Best Actor. This year, at this point at least, we'll also just be seeing one movie (between my work schedule and the fact I just took time off so I can't during the fest, and my husband starting his final year of his Masters, we just don't have time to see much more).

This year, we'll be checking out Our Brand Is Crisis, starring Sandra Bullock and Billy Bob Thornton. We snagged tickets without having watched a trailer, but the trailer dropped 2 days after we bought out tickets for this upcoming Saturday. So we're pleased to see what we're getting ourselves into. Produced by George Clooney and Grant Heslov (yep, the guys who produced Argo!), see the synopsis below:

      Failing badly in the polls, a Bolivian presidential candidate enlists the services of an American management team for help. The main star is "Calamity" Jane Bodine (Sandra Bullock), a brilliant strategist who comes out of self-imposed retirement for a chance to beat her professional nemesis, the loathsome Pat Candy. With Candy working for the opposition, it becomes a down-and-dirty, all-out battle between political consultants, where nothing is sacred and winning is all that matters.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one. It looks tonally similar to Argo, with a mix of drama and humor. Sandra Bullock looks great here and could certainly become a contender for her 3rd Oscar nomination. I'll have a review up sometime Sunday or Monday which I'll share my thoughts. Meanwhile, check out the trailer!


No comments:

Post a Comment