Friday 21 August 2015

So Fetch Friday: New movies + New Girl

Hi all! Sorry I haven't written in a while but things have been pretty busy lately. Summer is just a busy time for my husband and I and work has been busier than usual in the last few weeks.

Last weekend I finally got around to watching a few new releases that I had been wanting to see. The first was Kingsman: The Secret Service. Honestly, I actually quite liked it. It was fun seeing Colin Firth take on this kind of a role, and I thought Taron Egerton was really great. The only disappointment was that stupid sex gag right at the very end. It didn't fit the rest of the film, and didn't fit how Eggsy had acted the rest of the film. It felt like a cheap gag in the midst of a film that had done some very great jokes and pulled off some risky stuff. It was disappointing and tarnished the overall film a little bit, for me.

The other movie I was able to catch was The Water Diviner, Russell Crowe's directorial debut. I really quite like Russell Crowe, so I was quite interested in seeing this. It sounded like a moving story and I was curious. I know it landed with about a 63% on RottenTomatoes, which isn't great, but my husband and I actually quite enjoyed it. I thought Russell Crowe was quite good as an actor, though he didn't do anything particularly interesting as a director. While it didn't turn out to be as much of a true story as I had first thought (aka, it's pretty much only a "Maybe" true story), it was still an enjoyable film.

We've taken a bit of a break from watching Mad Men since we've hit season 6. Only half of season 7 is up on Netflix, and we're taking our time getting through the last bit of this so we don't have a huge wait before it gets posted or is released on DVD. What we have started watching is New Girl. So far, I've found it quite funny, though my husband is only kind of so-so about it. I think it's funnier and does more interesting stuff than Modern Family thus far (a show which I think that tries to do "controversy" in the safest way possible). I like Zooey Deschanel and I think she's pretty great here as Jess. We're more than half through the first season so far, and it's a fun new little guilty pleasure.

I also literally just finished watching Slow West. Again, another film I actually quite enjoyed. There was some really great foreshadowing, and almost felt like a film Wes Anderson would've made if he made serious films. It had some of his camera techniques and the music felt very Anderson. It was a good little movie, and Fassbender is just great to watch.

Anyway, I'm actually off to summer camp to be a counselor this weekend, so I'll be posting my entry to John's Film Auteur series in the next few days. Have a great week guys!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're back. I loved Kingsman, sex gag and all. What a fun film!

    ReplyDelete