Tuesday 24 February 2015

2015 Oscar comments and winners!

So the Oscars happened on Sunday. What did you guys think? I actually found my predictions went overall pretty well. I got only four wrong, which is much better than I thought would happen, even if it's worse than I did last  year (with only 2 wrong).

The show itself I was fine with. I actually mildly enjoyed Neil Patrick Harris. I know I'm probably one of the only ones but I kind of enjoyed all the deadpanning. But I agree that he contributed much less to the show than Ellen did last year. Can Jimmy Fallon please host next year? That would be my favourite. Or even Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake together. Would that ever happen? Or can Tina and Amy just host everything? Also, that Lady Gaga Sound of Music tribute was so unnecessary, but it was so beautifully done! I knew she was talented, but man, she rocked it!

Also, probably one of the coolest things about the Oscars this year is that all 8 Best Picture nominees won an Oscar. I really like that. All of the top films of the year were the best in at least 1 field. I wish this happened more often, honestly. And this is the first time it has happened since the field expanded.

Anyway, I've listed the winners below and I'll be giving a few of my thoughts on each and whether I guessed correctly.My results were 17/21 (81%, which is pretty good, considering!)


Best Picture
Birdman

I am so glad I swapped to Birdman last minute. While I personally prefer Boyhood, I think Birdman is a really different and interesting winner. It's unique and different from all the other films that have won in the past. Yes, it's another film about actors but it's still something different to win and I'm glad about that. 


Best Director
Alejandro González Iñárritu - Birdman
My Prediction: Richard Linklater- Boyhood

I really thought Linklater would win here. But then started to doubt it when Birdman won Original Screenplay. However, fair enough that they don't split up picture and director again. Inarritu did some great work as a director here so it's a fair win. 


Best Actor
Eddie Redmayne - The Theory of Everything
My Prediction: Michael Keaton- Birdman

I stubbornly stuck by Keaton thinking he might get a sentimental win. I was definitely wrong. However, unlike most people, I have no problem with Redmayne winning. I think he's kind of precious and I like the honest enthusiasm. Honestly, both him and Keaton pretty equally deserved it so I'm happy for him!


Best Actress
Julianne Moore - Still Alice

Does anyone really care? I mean, besides that she finally has an Oscar? 


Best Supporting Actor
J.K. Simmons - Whiplash

I'm so glad he won. I know it was obvious, but his work in Whiplash is fantastic. So deserved.

Best Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette - Boyhood

While I personally prefered Ethan Hawke in Boyhood, I thought she was great. Also, he acceptance speech was confusing and random. Kind of cool but I was just kind of like 'what is happening?' 


Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
The Imitation Game
Graham Moore

I know Harvey Weinstein's big film wouldn't walk away empty handed. I was hoping for a Whiplash upset though.. 

Writing (Original Screenplay)
Birdman
Alejandro González Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris and Armando Bo
My prediction: The Grand Budapest Hotel

I'm disappointed GBH didn't win here. I think it so deserved it. But I understand why Birdman won. Fair enough, it was well written and unique as well. I just prefer Wes Anderson.  


Animated Feature Film
Big Hero 6
My Prediction: How to Train Your Dragon 2

If you look at my predictions, I actually wasn't confident HTTYD2 would win here but wasn't sure what else to pick. I guess I shouldn't have under-estimated Big Hero 6


Documentary (feature)
Citizenfour

Foreign Language Film
Ida

Film Editing
Whiplash
Tom Cross

Probably one of the most deserved awards of the night, in my opinion. I was so happy this pulled off a win. The editing was fantastic. The more awards for Whiplash, the better!


Cinematography
Birdman
Emmanuel Lubezki

I think we all knew Lubezki was going to win again. Once again, super original and innovative. 


Production Design
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Another really deserved win. And probably the most deserving win for GBH. 


Visual Effects
Interstellar

Costumes
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Milena Canonero

Makeup
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Music (Original Score)
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Alexandre Desplat

This happened!! Alexandre Desplat finally has his Oscar! And for probably my favourite score of his! Seriously, I was so happy when this happened! 

Music (Original Song)
Selma
Glory

That performance, man. Too good! I'm glad this won. 


Sound Editing
American Sniper

I predicted the mixing/editing split. Yay! 

Sound Mixing
Whiplash

The more for Whiplash the better, don't even care!

No comments:

Post a Comment