Tuesday 3 June 2014

Favourite Movie Scenes Blogathon

So I've definitely seen lots of blogathons that different bloggers I follow, but I've never actually participated in one myself. And since my blog consists pretty much entirely of just movie reviews, I thought I'd do something different. Hitchcock's World is hosting this one, and it's "Favourite Movie Scenes". This was an easy, but really fun, one to start with. I'm still making my way through watching all sorts of classic films, so my choices may not be the most "critically acclaimed" as I do kind of have an odd (and often slightly cliche) taste, it was fun to come up with a few for this list. So here goes!



Pride and Prejudice (2005)
This version of Pride and Prejudice is one of my absolute most favourite movies ever. I love the book, and this film was absoutely beautiful. A scene that always stands out to me is a scene right near the end. Mr Darcy and Mr Bingley have come back again, unexpected by the Bennett women. They quickly leave again, but you can see the chemistry between Jane and Bingley, whom haven't seen each other in a long time. After this, Darcy and Bingley go out by the river and you can see Bingley practicing proposing to Jane, trying to figure out his words. The shot is beautiful with such a gorgeous landscape. The setting is perfect. The music is also happy and great and we get just a low enough dialogue volume to roughly hear what Bingley is saying, but not entirely. You know what's going to happen, and you see him fretting over exactly how he'll word it. At one point we see him address Darcy as "Jane" and Darcy gives a little bow. It's always been a scene I loved in this film, as it's just simply adorable.



Singin' In the Rain
 Another favourite film of mine, this is right at the beginning. Don Lockwood, absolute movie star, is told to recount his past and rise to fame. However, I often feel most people I watch this with miss out on the straight lines that Don tells about his past. Saying he and Cosmo went to the best academies and had an easy ride to fame. However, it is the absolute opposite that happens, and I feel like hardly anyone picks up on this. However, you get lots of great shots of child Don tap dancing in a bar, sneaking into the cinema and then wearing fantastic checked suits, tap dancing and playing the violins to lots of booing. It's a great scene to set up the humor of the movie ahead and you get a glimpse into who exactly Don Lockwood is (aka not who he often says he is)



The Hurt Locker
The Hurt Locker was a movie I never expected to enjoy as much as I did. However, I found the film completely compelling and such an interesting story. The scene that stands out to me is a pretty obvious one. So obvious it's classic shot makes various posters for the film. Will James is the new team leader of the Explosive Ordnance Disposal unit in Iraq. Considered reckless, he goes out, nearly blind to his watch-guys to dispose of some explosives on an Iraqi street. But he discovers there's not just one bomb, but an attached 7, which he pulls up out of the sand. The moment when Will pulls them out of the sand, and we see him surrounded, is chilling. While it's not exactly the most realistic, it has an incredible effect and is a wow moment from the film. And for a flicker, you see some vulnerability within reckless Will. But he then gets down to business, cause this is what he does. 






21 Jump Street
A film I've watch twice within about 2 months, 21 Jump Street is a pretty hilarious film. I'm not usually into raunchy R-rated comedies, but I love this one. One of the bizarrest and funniest scenes in the film comes after Jenko and Schmidt, undercover at a local high school to do a drug bust, were forced to take the drug, instead of just purchasing it and reporting back who the seller is. The various stages of the drug, and the fact they have to go through the effects while during class is fantastic. It's all highly ridiculous, and includes a scene where the gym teachers head is turned into an ice cream cone and Channing Tatum filling an entire school white board with 4's in chem class is by far my favourite moment. The scene was crazy and had me in complete stitches. It was never too much, but at the same time it completely was, in a good way. Channing Tatum's creepy laugh during "The Gigz" phase of the drug is fantastic. 


I'm sure I could've thought of more, just these are 4 films that I really enjoy, and they had some stand out scenes in them. I definitely could've included the opening sequence of the Dark Knight, but that felt just a tad cliche. 


No comments:

Post a Comment