Wednesday 14 May 2014

Unforgiven

Unforgiven, 1992
Directed by Clint Eastwood
Nominated for 9 Oscars, Won 4
Wins Include: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor, Best Film Editing

William Munny used to be the toughest, coldest gunslinger in the west. Famed for his kills, he is now retired, a widow, a father and sober. He's working on a pig farm, and still mourning the death of the wife he loved. When a young man who calls himself the Schofield Kid comes by, he knows who Will is, and hopes to hire him on for a job. A prostitute was cut up by two men, and are let off too easy by the town sherriff. The rest of the prostitutes put a bounty on the two cowboys. And the Schofield Kid hopes to hire Will so they can claim it. Initially turning him down, he changes his mind a few days later. He catches up to the Kid, but also brings along his old partner (who is also now married and retired). However, the job is a little harder than expected.

I must admit, I was very tired while watching this movie. I get up every work day at 5am. This doesn't often affect me on Saturday nights, but I was definitely getting real tired the last half of this movie. In this I admit I didn't quite absorb everything as well as I could have. It's not that the movie was boring or anything, I was just tired at 10pm. That being said, I'll do my best to review this movie.

I admit, I've never really seen a movie with Clint Eastwood in his prime. I'm much more used to seeing him how he is now. So it was a bit interesting to see Clint do something at least a little different from what I'm used to. Granted, he was still a little cranky, but I did get a glimpse of a younger Clint. While I haven't been overly impressed with his more recent performances, and even though this one is still similar (cranky and retired, but having someone young pull him out of it), I was still impressed with what I saw.

The story itself had an extremely promising premise. Whether it completely fulfilled my wishes, I think I can say yes on that. While at times it was a little cheesy (including the Schofield Kid saying he was going to hunt down "some no good cowboys"), it was definitely a solid story to tell, even if we've heard similar before, and is probably not too original for the Western Genre.

As well, Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman gave some solid performances. Though, I admit, Hackman's role gets more interesting as the film goes on, so I didn't pick up on everything in his performance, but Freeman is always great and he lays down a solid performance, though not extremely awards-worthy or anything.

The cinematography was indeed quite lovely. While the mid West is not somewhere I'd really ever want to live, it is extremely beautiful in films like this, and it was captured extremely well.

While I can't really say too much more than that at this time, I will tell you the film was enjoyable, and I will endeavor to watch this again soon to be able to fully appreciate it.

Acting- 8/10 
Directing- 8/10 
Screenplay- 7.5/10 
Visuals- 8.5/10 
Music- 7.5/10 
Emotional Connection- 7.5/10 
Entertainment- 7.5/10 
Rewatchability- 7/10 
Overall Enjoyment- 7.5/10 
Overall Package- 7/10       


Total: 76/100

No comments:

Post a Comment