Sunday 2 February 2014

Patton

Patton, 1970
Directed by Franklin J. Schaffner
Nominated for 10 Oscars, Won 7
Wins Include: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Writing, Best Art/Set Direction, Best Sound, Best Film Editing

George S. Patton was a controversial and highly successful WWII commander. The film tells his story of his time in WWII. Basically, we see his progress through the war, his faults (temper and insubordination) and exactly how powerful he was despite those failings.

Patton was pretty much a jerk. I know he was quite successful during the war and made a lot of progress, not just for America, but for the Allies. But he was pretty much a jerk. Between his not believeing in posttraumatic stress syndrome (just calling the soldiers "weak"), and not doing what he was ordered so he could beat the British because he knew better. Those types of people, no matter how skilled they are, don't sit well with me.

The film itself didn't have much of a story to tell. It cuts in and out, assuming you know history very well, and recognize the names being dropped. Like, I've mentioned before, it's always helpful to have my history nerd of a husband to sit next to in films like these ones. Because often, I wasn't exactly sure how far along in the war we were, or what was going on.

Many of the problems I have, being a Canadian, is I find films like these way too "rah-rah America!" And this film was very much that way. Though, since they played that angle, I'm sure glad they didn't make Patton out to be a saint.

Of all the World War films to win, this one is probably my least favourite so far. This was a bit of a boring and irritating story to tell, and it didn't have a very strong narrative. Patton was far too irritating and egotistical for me to care about. Not quite sure if this was supposed to be the point, but it prevented me from enjoying the story. Though it didn't quite have much of a narrative anyway.

However, George C. Scott played Patton quite well. Everyone else seemed to be quite forgetable (though part of that was because they were standing next to Scott). However, aside from Scott, this film didn't do anything really spectacular. I mean, it looked great and everything, but I didn't find it to be that stand-out of a film.


Acting- 9/10 
Directing- 7/10 
Screenplay- 7/10 
Visuals- 8/10 
Music- 8.5/10 
Emotional Connection- 5.5/10 
Entertainment- 5/10 
Rewatchability- 3/10 
Overall Enjoyment- 5.5/10 
Overall Package- 7/10       


Total: 65.5/100

No comments:

Post a Comment