Tuesday 24 January 2012

Oscar Nominees- How did I do!?

Well, the list of nominations are up! I'll post both the nominees and I'll let you know how I did with my predictions in each category!

Best Picture:
- The Artist
- Descendants
- Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
- The Help
- Hugo
- Midnight in Paris
- Moneyball
- Tree of Life
- War Horse

Well, I was surprised to see 9 nominees this year. Especially the presence of Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. That movie wasn't well-received at all, and has gotten hardly any nominations! Of my top 7, all of them were in there, and The Tree of Life was my number 8 choice. The only one I didn't predict at all was ELaIC, not even my top 20. But I did well, considering.
8/9= 88%

Best Animated Feature:
- A Cat in Paris
- Chico & Rita
- Kung Fu Panda 2
- Puss in Boots
- Rango

I must say, the notable absence here is the Adventures of Tin-Tin. Well if got mediocre reviews, it won the Golden Globe for Animated Feature. But, I'm very very excited to see Kung-Fu Panda 2 up for the award, which was my favourite animated film this year! I didn't predict it though it was my 8th choice.
3/5= 60%

Best Actor:
- Demian Bichir (A Better Life)
- George Clooney (The Descendants)
- Jean Dujardin (The Artist)
- Gary Oldman (Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy)
- Brad Pitt (Moneyball)

This category also had some big surprises. Michael Fassbender and Leonardo DiCaprio were both left out, but Demian Bichir and Gary Oldman snuck in! Oldman has never received a nomination before, and after being snubbed by many awards, I'm happy to see him in here, though would've liked to see Fassbender in here as well! While I didn't predict Bichir and Oldman, there were my 6th and 8th choice.
3/5= 60%

Best Actress:
- Glenn Close (Albert Nobbs)
- Viola Davis (The Help)
- Rooney Mara (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
- Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady)
- Michelle Williams (My Week with Marilyn)

The big surprise here is Rooney Mara sneaking into the nominations, leaving Tilda Swinton out. I'm happy to see Mara in here. While I haven't see TGWTDT she looks pretty incredible in it. While she wasn't predicted, she was my 6th choice.
4/5=80%

Best Supporting Actor:
- Kenneth Branagh (My Week with Marilyn)
- Jonah Hill (Moneyball)
- Nick Nolte (Warrior)
- Christopher Plummer (Beginners)
- Max von Sydow (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close)

Another surprising omission here is Albert Brooks, and Max von Sydow being included. But really, does it even matter, because Christopher Plummer has already won the award... While von Sydow wasn't in my top 5, he made the 6th spot
4/5= 80%

Best Supporting Actress:
- Berenice Bejo (The Artist)
- Jessica Chastain (The Help)
- Melissa McCarthy (Bridesmaids)
- Janet McTeer (Albert Nobbs)
- Octavia Spencer (The Help)

I'm really, really sad to see Melissa McCarthy here over Shailene Woodley. I felt she gave a way better performance, but there you go. I didn't predict Janet McTeer but she was my 8th choice.
4/5= 80%


Best Director:
- Michel Hazanavicius (The Artist)
- Alexander Payne (The Descendants)
- Martin Scorsese (Hugo)
- Woody Allen (Midnight in Paris)
- Terrence Malick (The Tree of Life)

There have been several directors battling out for the 5th directing spot (Spielburg, Fincher, Malik) and I'm happy to see Malik get in here. He wasn't on my predictions list, but he did take my 7th spot.
4/5=80%


Writing (Adapted Screenplay):
- The Descendants
- Hugo
- The Ides of March
- Moneyball
- Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

I'm happy to see all this Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy love! Well, it's not a lot, but it's getting tons, but it's gotten more than it has anywhere else! While I had predicted the Help & the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo over Ides and Tinker, Tailor, they were both my 6th and 7th positions.
3/5=60%


Writing (Original Screenplay):
- The Artist
- Bridesmaids
- Margin Call
- Midnight in Paris
- A Separation

I did pretty terribly in this category, having only predicted The Artist and Midnight in Paris. While Bridesmaids was my 7th spot, Margin Call and A Separation weren't on my list.
2/5=40%  


Art Direction:
- The Artist
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2
- Hugo
- Midnight in Paris
- War Horse

I'm happy to see HP here. I'd really love for it to win this one, having been deserving the entire 7 films. Additionally, I predicted The Artist and Hugo, with The Help and Tinker Tailor in here instead of Midnight in Paris and War Horse. Though WH was my 6th spot, and Midnight in Paris didn't make the list.
3/5=60%


Best Visual Effects:
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2
- Hugo
- Real Steel
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon

The largest omission here is the Tree of Life. Most expected it to be a shoe-in, but it looks like it got snubbed here. The movie to take it's place was Real Steel (which was my 7th spot). All the others, I got correctly.
4/5=80%


Makeup:
- Albert Nobbs
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2
- The Iron Lady

Again, really happy to see Harry Potter up for this. Truly deserving, and I'd say it's only slightly more the frontrunner over the Iron Lady. Would like to see HP win this one. I had predicted The Artist over Albert Nobbs, but got the other 2 correct.
2/3= 66%


Cinematography:
- The Artist
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
- Hugo
- The Tree of Life
- War Horse

The only one I got incorrect was putting HP over TGWTDT. I guess lots of HP nominations was wishful thinking. I'm still rooting for War Horse in this category.However, Dragon Tattoo was my 6th spot.
4/5=80%


Costume Design:
- Anonymous
- The Artist
- Hugo
- Jane Eyre
- W.E.

I'm surprised to see W.E. here. It hasn't picked up many nominations anywhere, but managed to sneak into the Costume Design category. Additionally, Anonymous was able to sneak in too. While I predicted War Horse and My Week With Marilyn over them, they were my 6th and 9th choice. 
 3/5=60%


Film Editing:
- The Artist
- The Descendants
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
- Hugo
- Moneyball

While I had predicted War Horse and The Tree of Life over The Descendants and Moneyball, I'm happy to see both of them here, especially Moneyball. They were my 6th and 8th spot.
3/5=60%


Music (Original Score):
- The Adventures of Tintin (John Williams)
- The Artist (Ludovic Bource)
- Hugo (Howard Shore)
- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (Albert Iglesias)
- War Horse (John Williams)

The biggest shock here, for me, is the complete lack of Alexandre Desplat. He had a fantastically busy year scoring things like Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, Harry Potter, Carnage, The Ides of March, but didn't manage to make it in. Instead was see some more love for TTSS, with Albert Iglesias getting nominated for his work. Additionally, we have double John Williams, getting in for both Tin-Tin (making up for lack of Animated Feature nomination?), and for War Horse. While I had predicted HP and TGWTDT in here, Tin-Tin was my 10th choice, while TTSS didn't make the list.
3/5=60%


Music (Original Song):
- Man or Muppet (The Muppets)
- Real in Rio (Rio)

Only 2 songs up for Best Original Song. One was in my top 10 (the Muppets) and one didn't make my list at all, though I loved Rio and love seeing it here!
1/2=50%



Sound Editing:
- Drive
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
- Hugo
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon
- War Horse

h, I didn't do too badly here, considering I didn't know what I was doing. I got Hugo, the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and War horse correct, while I wrongly predicted Tin-Tin and Super 8 over Drive and Transformers. Neither of them were in my top 10.
3/5= 60%


Sound Mixing:
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
- Hugo
- Moneyball
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon
- War horse

Again, I wasn't too sure what I was doing, though I didn't do as well this time around. I correctly predicted Hugo & Transformers, while I predicted Pirates, Apes and Tin-Tin over Dragon Tattoo, Moneyball and War Horse. I'm happy to see the inclusion of Moneyball though, having said the other day I liked it's mixing (inexpertly).
2/5=40%


Overall, I got a 69%, 64/91 predictions correct, all in my top 5 (or 3 for some categories). However, 91% of the nominees were in my top 10 list. I'd say I didn't fair too badly.

Hugo leads the nominations with 11, the Artist in second with 10, and War Horse and Moneyball in 3rd with 6.

I'll make winners predictions in a few weeks. Until then, happy awards season!



(Below are the other categories I didn't make predictions in)
Foreign Language Film:
- Bullhead
- Footnote
- In Darkness
- Monsieur Lazhar
- A Separation

Documentary (Feature):
- Hell and Back Again
- If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth LIberation Front
-Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory
- Pina
- Undefeated
Documentary (Short Subject):
- The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement
- God Is the Bigger Elvis
- Incident in New Baghdad
- Saving Face
- The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom
Short Film (Animated):
- Dimanche/Sunday
- The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
- La Luna
- A Morning Stroll
- Wild Life

Short Film (Live Action)
- Pentecost
- Raju
- The Shore
- Time Freak
- Tuba Atlantic

No comments:

Post a Comment