Thursday 19 January 2012

Complete Oscars Nominations Breakdown Part 3


Best Original Score
It seems every year, the score I want to win is nominated, though loses. Last year How to Train Your Dragon lost to the boring Social Network, Slumdog Millionaire won over the brilliant Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Brokeback Mountain won over Pride and Prejudice. Okay, it happens less than I thought, but this is one of the trickiest categories to judge. Music is so subjective, and everyone has different tastes. But for this category, many are agreeing on The Artist, by Ludovic Bource. Is it because it carries the film? Probably? Is it good? Yes, but not brilliant, but it captures the era well. Other locks are John Williams War Horse and Howard Shore's Hugo. Other's in contention are Alexandre Desplat (for either the Ides of March, Harry Potter or Extremely Loud). He's one of the busiest composers right now, and hasn't won as Oscar yet. I'm not sure which of his scores will win, but I'm going with HP because it was Grammy nominated. And we have last year's winners, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross who did the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I'd say they're your nominees right there.

Nominated: The Artist, Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part II, War Horse, Hugo, the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Close but Not Quite: The Ides of March, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, The Help, Super 8

Best Original Song 
Again, I don't know much of this category. Obviously, the Muppets are a shoe-in having so many songs from the movie. Also, the Mary J Blidge song from the Help has been getting attention. Madonna has a song for W.E., Elton John wrote a few for Gnomeo and Juliet, Zooey Deschanel wrote some for Winnie the Pooh, and there were songs for Captain America and Albert Nobbs. Going off what the Globes and Critics Choice had, here are my nominees:

Nominated: Picture in My Head (Muppets), The Living Proof (The Help), Hello Hello (Gnomeo and Juliet), Life's A Happy Song (The Muppets), Star-Spangled Man (Captain America)
Close, but Not Quite: Songs for Albert Nobbs, Winnie the Pooh

Best Sound Editing
Today I finally understood the difference between Sound Editing and Mixing! But it doesn't help so much with my predictions because I simply didn't notice this when watching the films. I'll skip straight to nominations

Nominated: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part II, Hugo, War Horse, Transformers 3, Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Close but not Quite: ??

Best Sound Mixing
Again, I know what it is, yet I didn't notice is so much, though I noticed this more than the Sound Editing. So here we go:

Nominated: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part II, Hugo, Super 8, Transformers 3, Pirates 4
Close, but not Quite: ??

So, I made predictions for 19 categories. Come Tuesday, I'll post how well I did in all of them! Good luck to all who made predictions!



No comments:

Post a Comment