Thursday 19 January 2012

Complete Oscar Nominations Breakdown Part 2

Here we go, the Visual Tech awards, those I'm most interested in, personally.

Best Art Direction
In my opinion, the art awards have some tough competition this year, specificially Art Direction and Cinematography. For Art Direction, we have the obvious ones like Hugo and The Artist. Then we have other very strong contenders like Harry Potter, War Horse, The Tree of Life, Anonymous, Drive, The Help, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Drive, all of which were nominated for the Art Directors Guild nominations in the several categories offered. To narrow it down to 5... Hugo and The Artist are shoe in's and I'm going to put my money on an HP nod. It's always had fabulous AD and was nominated for Part I. Additionally, The Help and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy will also make the cut.

Nominated: Hugo, The Artist, Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part II, The Help, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Close, but not quite: Drive, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, War Horse, The Tree of Life, Anonymous.

Best Cinematography
Locks are War Horse and The Tree of Life. Both were incredibly beautiful (WH being slightly more deserving in my opinion) and they tied for the award at the Critics Choice Awards. Other potentials are The Artist, with the black and white 1920's looking film style, Hugo, with it's marvelous 3D landscaping of Paris, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo with it's cold, bleak view of Sweden, Harry Potter with it's battle scenes, as well as Moneyball and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. For now I'm going to put my money on:

Nominated: War Horse, The Tree of Life, The Artist, Hugo, and Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part II
Close, but not quite: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Moneyball

Best Costume Design
The obvious choices would be films like Jane Eyre, Hugo, War Horse, The Artist, and My Week with Marilyn. Oh, look, 5 nominees. Other contenders are Anonymous, W.E, the Help, and a Dangerous Method. The 5 obvious, are obvious, are are getting the nominations. I'll stick with those.

Nominated: Jane Eyre, Hugo, War Horse, The Artist, My Week With Marilyn
Close, but not Quite: Anonymous, W.E., The Help, A Dangerous Method

Best Makeup
The short list, of 7 titles came out a few weeks ago, making this guessing job much easier, though there's only 3 nominees. The short-list is comprised of Harry Potter, The Artist, the Iron Lady, My week with Marilyn, Albert Nobbs, Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life, Anonymous and Hugo. Personally, I think The Iron Lady and Harry Potter are shoe in's. Both had the "aging" make-up, and HP had the boost from doing makeup for the elves, Voldemort, battle wounds, etc. The third slot, I think, will either go to The Artist or My Week With Marilyn. With the Artist sweeping the nominations, I'll slate that film for this last spot here too.

Nominated: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part II, The Iron Lady, The Artist
Close, but not Quite: My Week with Marilyn, Anonymous, Hugo, Albert Nobbs, Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life

Best Visual Effects
Again, the short list was released a few weeks or a month ago, making, again, this much easier. The 2 locks are Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part II, also following closely are Hugo and the Tree of Life. That leaves a 5th spot open. It could go to either Real Steel, MI4, X-Men, Transformers, Captain America and Pirates 4. All  Pirates films have been nominated (the 2nd one winning), as well as the first Transformers being nominated, although I think it'll go to Transformers this time.

Nominated: Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2, Hugo, The Tree of Life, Transformers: The Dark of the Moon
Close but not quite: Pirates of the Caribbean, Captain America, Real Steel, MI4, X-Men

Best Film Editing
Personally, I know very little about film editing, and this is based on pure speculation of what other's have been saying. Additionally, I've read, and seen, the Film Editing Award is general very close with the Best Picture, so I'll base my predictions on that, and what has been nominated already. So far I'm going to say The Artist and Hugo will be up for this. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo won this at the Critics Choice, and War Horse and Drive were also nominated. I'll throw The Descendants in there as a contender because of it's BP status, as well as Moneyball.

Nominated: The Artist, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Hugo, Drive and War Horse
Close, but not quite: Moneyball, the Descendants.

Up next: Sound Tech Awards!

No comments:

Post a Comment